Behavioral and Developmental Pediatric Consultations
Susan Johnson, MD 916/638-8758
As a Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrician for more than 23 years, Dr. Johnson evaluates children, from 2 to 18 years of age, for learning, developmental, and behavioral concerns. She offers consultations and evaluations for:
• Comprehensive learning, developmental, and behavioral evaluations
• Preventative care consults for children having difficulties with reading, writing, spelling, and mathematics.
• Preschool, kindergarten and 1st grade readiness screens, and and assess children’s neurologic readiness for reading.
• Evaluations of young children for difficulties in speech, receptive and expressive language, fine and gross motor skills, auditory processing, visual processing, and cognitive development.
• Behavioral concerns such as temper tantrums, tactile defensiveness, aggressive behaviors, hyperactivity, sleep disturbances, bed-wetting, and difficulties paying attention and sitting still are also addressed.
• Comprehensive assessments for children having difficulties with reading, comprehension, writing, spelling, and mathematics and determine whether your child learns best through visual, auditory, or hands-on kinesthetic methods.
• Nutritional and holistic therapies for children with ADD, ADHD, and Autistic Spectrum Disorders and recommend nutritional and constitutional remedies for children that are struggling with allergies as well as chronic ear and sinus infections.
At my clinical practices in Colfax and Gold River, I offer the best of both traditional and complementary forms of therapies. Children needing alll-day Comprehensive learning evaluations or half-day Preventative Care Consults are seen at my Clinic, A Healing Place For Children, in Colfax. Children needing follow-up appointments as well as preschool, kindergarten, or 1st grade readiness screens can be seen in Colfax or my other office at The Center for Living Health in Gold River.
For more information and access to over 40 articles for parents by Dr. Johnson, please visit her website. Reprints of the articles are also available as a book, available for sale at the Center. Besides the Center for Living Health, Dr. Johnson also see patients at her clinic in Cofax, A Healing Place for Children.
Preventative Care Consults are scheduled for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. During this mini-evaluation, a child receives a vision and hearing screen, a complete physical and neurological examination, sensory motor evaluation and a qualitative learning assessment. Nutritional support and constitutional remedies are recommended.
The Comprehensive Learning Evaluation is an all day evaluation and consists of a vision and hearing screen, a complete physical and neurological examination, sensory motor evaluation, qualitative learning assessment , child/teen interview, and parent (family) interview. Nutritional support and constitutional remedies are recommended.
Preschool, Kindergarten and 1st Grade Readiness Screens are scheduled for 1 1/2 hours and include a vision and hearing screen as well as a brief sensory-motor evaluation and brief learning assessment.
Referral resources include: psychological-educational testing, speech and language therapy, audiology, neurology, genetics, Biodynamic Cranial Osteopathy and Cranial-Sacral therapy, Therapeutic Eurythmy movement therapy, sensory integration movement therapies (e.g. Brain Gym, HANDLE, Bal-a-vis-x, Sc’ool Moves), therapeutic and Parelli horseback riding, Rhythmical Massage Therapy, Extra Lesson (specialized educational assessment and support lessons), educational tutoring, sand-tray therapy, and family counseling/support groups.
More more information and articles by Dr. Johnson, please